Translate

The cruising adventures of Sid and Manuela

Friday, March 20, 2009

Back in the yard

Where does time just go? It's been a fast few weeks since we moved into the marina. Sid had a chance to recuperate his shoulder, although still more time is needed to heal completely. Poor guy was going out of his mind not being able to do anything on the boat without getting yelled at by me and our neighbors. Marina life for him means working on the boat, well not this time. I guess it must have been even more so frustrating to him to watch me sew away.

The Crews Inn Marina, although very expensive, sure know how to spoil us. Every morning at 6 the daily news paper is thrown into the cockpit, so after Sid made our coffees, he relaxes in the cockpit reading, while I sit on the computer doing my job as communications officer, answering emails. At 8.30 in the morning its noodeling time in the pool. I give noodeling aerobics every morning which has a lot of people hooked. We have about 12 to 14 people and when I asked them if they want to take a day off on Sunday it's a big NO WAY. It's been a lot of fun and I even managed to get 6 guys into the pool.

The hour before sunset everybody meets at the pool for a sundowner and a lot of chit chatter. Tuesday nights we still go for the Movie Matinees and dinner at Movie Towne, which Jessie organizes a bus for us. And Thursday nights we have the weekly potluck which is always a huge turnout with around 30 people and the most incredible food.

Trinidad is well known for fabrics and the ladies get together and go fabric shopping. I found the nicest bathing suit materials again and there are several local ladies that will copy your favorite bathing suite or use their own patterns for a fraction of what it would cost to buy a new bathing suit. Some of the local ladies make dresses and again will copy any favorite dress. Best yet they all come to the Marina once a week to meet us.

I also found some beautiful imitation leather, tan colored texaline and sunbrella and sewed up a storm in the cockpit. I made a sunshade cover for our neighbors bow; she in return bought me a very nice material to make slip covers with for our cockpit cushions (still need to sew those). Sid and I rented a car for one day to buy foam which Sid then glued on top of our old cockpit cushions to make them a bit more comfortable and I sewed new covers for them. We have an all new cockpit again. I also replace all the pockets I made two years ago. What a difference.









Sid is definitely feeling better and decided that it was time to haul out once more. So Paradise lost her sea legs for a couple of weeks, while we are at Peaks Yard doing some varnish and Randolph from Same Crew is replacing the rub rails. Of course we'll find some other things to work on. Peaks Boat Yard compared to Power Boats is like the Hilton Hotel to a Motel, we would haul out at Peaks again.

As I said it's been a busy month and sometimes I wonder how we ever fit work into our busy schedule!

No comments: